The kidney is an important organ that removes waste from the blood and helps control blood pressure. Here we will list out simple steps on how to protect your Kidney. Read carefully under:
Dialysis performs the function of the kidneys if they’ve failed. According to the National Kidney Foundation, end-stage kidney failure occurs when the kidneys are performing at only 10 to 15 percent of their normal function.
Dialysis is a treatment that filters and purifies the blood using a machine. This helps keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance when the kidneys can’t do their job.
How to protect your Kidney
- Reduce your salt intake (sodium 5-6mg daily)
- Make sure to stay hydrated. Take in at least 2 liters of water daily.
- Regularly check your blood pressure to make sure it is under control.
- Minimize your use of painkillers as they can harm the kidney if taken frequently.
- Make sure your blood sugar is controlled and regularly checked.
- Do not smoke and stay away from people who do. Smoking increases the risk of kidney cancer by 50%.
Cost of Dialysis in Nigeria
Most persons living with kidney diseases that requires dialysis do it about 3 times a week. That is, 3 dialysis sessions a week. Most dialysis centres in Nigeria charge about #30,000 – #50,000 Naira for a session of dialysis.
However, for subsequent sessions the price of dialysis in the same centre are discount to as low as #10,000 – #15,000 Naira. How much is dialysis in Lagos? In Lagos and other cities like Abuja, Benin City, Port Harcourt, Enugu and Ibadan, the cost of dialysis is around #27,000 Naira.