Register for Government of Ireland Postgraduates Scholarships Programme 2024 Application Form via online – get started under. Application link portal is open for interested applicants to apply Government of Ireland Postgraduates Scholarships Programme to study in Ireland.
About the Scholarship
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
Strategic funding partners
A number of government departments and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme as a mechanism to deliver on shared national objectives. The Irish Research Council’s strategic funding partners for 2024 are:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Met Éireann
Requirements/Eligibility for Government of Ireland Postgraduates Scholarships Programme 2024
- There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either programme type.
- All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organisation.
- Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language.
- Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including to strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
- The Irish Research Council is not in a position to award funding for research activity under any of the following prohibited areas:
- human cloning for reproductive purposes;
- genetic modification of human beings that could make such changes heritable (with the exception of research relating to cancer treatment of the gonads, which may be funded); or
- creation of human embryos solely for the purpose of research or for the purpose of stem cell procurement, including by means of somatic cell nuclear transfer.